What is Bible prophecy? Bible prophecy is the information from God that has been recorded in the Bible about what is going to happen in the future. These prophecies were given through God's prophets over the centuries up through 95AD when the last book of the Bible, the "Revelation", was written. These biblical prophecies have been fulfilled as the history of the world has unfolded, except that prophecies relating to the end times have not yet been fullfilled.
Does God know the future? Absolutely, the future is fully foreknown by God. We mortals must wait to see what happens because we are confined by the dimensions of space and time. God is not confined by dimensions - there is nothing bigger than God, not even time - God does not need to sit around waiting to see what happens.
Does this mean that the future is predetermined - predestined - predictable? In the long term, God's purpose, plan and schedule are predetermined. In the short term, God allows people the freewill to make right or wrong choices - however, this freewill is limited by the necessity for people to make the right choices in order to avoid negative consequences. It is God's perogative to intervene in those decisions and consequences in order to accomplish His overall purpose. In all cases, God is ultimately in control.
What is God's schedule? The Bible strongly suggests that God has a total plan for the present world of 7000 years. Biblical history so far has transversed 6000 years. This history of the world consists of 3 clearly delineated periods of 2000 years each - the Early period from Adam to Abraham, the Hebrew period from Abraham to Jesus Christ, and the Christian Period from Jesus Christ to now. Add to that the 1000-year Millennium period still yet to come for a total of 7000 years. This scenario is biblically supported by:
(1) the 7-day model described in Genesis 1:1-2:3,
(2) the 7th day as a day of rest and comparing that to entering the Millennium rest (Ps 95:11, Heb 3:11, 4:3-5),
(3) the prophecy in Hosea 6:2 regarding the remaining time being 2 days plus the 3rd day, and
(4) the message in Psalm 90:3 and restated in 2Peter 3:8 that with God a day is like a 1000 years.
Does the billions-of-years theory of evolution conflict with the Bible's historical testimony? Definitely, the theory of evolution is directly in conflict with the Bible's historical account. Evolution is a theory based on a premise known as uniformitarianism, which assumes that all processes have operated linearly (without change) from the origin of the universe. However, uniformitarianism is an unreasonable assumption because nothing known in science is linear from it's origin. The reasonable assumption is that the origin of the universe, earth & life began non-linearly with respect to time, forming rapidly and then stabilizing into the linear process that we observe today.
In addition, the physical scientific evidence does not support evolution, such as the lack of fossil record evidence of transitional species. On the other hand, the Bible and the fossil evidence do support the non-linear model of rapid creation.
Basically, the theory of evolution is not credible.
Where are we now in time on the Biblical 7000-year timeline? The world is approaching the end of the 6000 years. We are about to experience the rise of the evil world dictator the Antichrist, the 7-year Tribulation, the battle of Armageddon and the return of Jesus Christ - including the Resurrection of believers and ushering in of the final 1000-year Millennium kingdom. The Bible describes these upcoming events in significant detail.
A SUMMARY OF THE BIBLICAL PROPHECY OF THE END TIMES
1. THE ANTICHRIST - A world leader rises to power in the west. At first he seems to be the savior of the world, but when he has consolidated power, he reveals his true nature as the ultimate evil dictator known as the Antichrist, claiming to be god and demanding worship and subservience.
(1) The Antichrist is aided into power by a religious leader known as the False Prophet.
(2) The Antichrist suffers a mortal wound but survives.
(3) Power is turned over to the Antichrist by the leaders of 10 world regions or nations.
(4) The Antichrist establishes an economic system whereby everyone must receive a 666 mark on their hand or forehead in order to transact any buying or selling.
(5) The number 666 is a clue to the Antichrist's name.
(6) The Antichrist guarantees a 7-year peace treaty with Israel, but after 3.5 years the Antichrist attacks Israel and attempts to destroy them.
(7) The Antichrist has a statue of himself set up in a wing of the newly rebuilt Temple on the mount in Jerusalem and everyone in the world must worship it or be killed. This statue is biblically referred to as the "abomination that causes desolation".
(8) The Antichrist and the False Prophet meet their doom at the battle of Armageddon.
2. ISRAEL - Israel is living in peace and security under the guarantee of the world leader, until he reveals his true nature and identity as the Antichrist, and attempts to annihilate them. A remnant flee Israel to a place secured by God for them - probably Petra - for 3.5 years.
3. THE 7-YEAR TRIBULATION - The period of great trouble during which the Antichrist rules the world prior to the return of Jesus Christ.
4. THE BATTLE OF ARMAGEDDON - The battle between the returning Jesus Christ versus the forces of the Antichrist, including a 200 million man army from the east, gathered at the large Valley of Megiddo in northwest Israel. The battle is totally one-sided.
5. THE RETURN OF JESUS CHRIST -
6. THE RESURRECTION OF BELIEVERS -
7. THE MILLENNIUM - The 1000 years of peace on the earth under the direct rule of Jesus Christ.
8. FINAL EVENTS - at the end of the Millennium.
(1) Battle of Gog and Magog
(2) New Heaven and New Earth
(3) Lake of Fire
(4) Resurrection of Non-believers
(5) Final White Throne Judgement
(6) New Jerusalem
MORE DETAILS TO COME!